Eating breakfast is one of keys to lose weight fast, but did you know that choosing the right foods in your breakfast can boost your chance of losing more pounds of your excessive weight faster? So, what are the best things you need to prioritize and what are other appropriate steps you need to concern to get your best result from your breakfast?
The answer is closely dependent on the age and the level of your physical activity. If you are an individual of sedentary type, you should eat less than other people who are moderately active and active type. If you are an older adult, you also should eat less than younger adults.
More calories you eat, more physical activity you need to do to burn those calories in order to maintain your ideal weight or to lose your weight. Therefore, your physical activity level plays a key role in this issue.
And for the age, your metabolism decreases as you age. Decreased metabolic rate means the decreased performance of your body in burning calories. Individuals of 19-30 years old need more calories to keep growing. On the other hand, after the age of 30, your body is more likely to stop growing.
So the age and physical activity level play a key role in determining how many calories you should eat to lose weight.
Moreover, gender also has an effect. Men tend to need more calories than women. In other words, typically men need greater calories than women at the same age and physical activity level. In general, the following is the list of how many calories that required by men (with Body Mass Index ‘BMI’ of 22.5) and women (with BMI of 21.5):
- For those in the age of 19-30 years old, they typically need calories for about 3000 (if they are an active individual), 2600-2800 (if they are a moderately active individual), and 2400-2600 (if they are a sedentary individual). Now you know clearly that the calories requirement is equivalent with the level of physical activity.
- For those in the age of 31-50 years old, they typically need calories for about 2800-3000 (if they are an active individual), 2400-2600 (if they are a moderately active individual), and 2200-2400 (if they are a sedentary individual).
- And for seniors (in the age of 51 or older), they typically need calories for about 2400-2800 (if they are an active individual), 2200-2400 (if they are a moderately active individual), and 2000-2200 (if they are a sedentary individual). And now you know clearly that the calories requirement decrease as the age.
- For seniors (those in the age of 51 or greater), about 2000-2000 calories /day are needed for those with active in physical activity, 1800 calories if they are moderately active individual, and 1600 calories for those with sedentary physical activity.
- For adults (in the age of 30-50 years old), they can eat for about 2200 calories if they are an active individual, 2000 calories for moderately active, and 1800 calories for sedentary.
- And for younger adults (in the age of 19-30), typically they will need greater calories than older adults. For those with sedentary physical activity, they need about 1800-2000 calories. Then about 2000-2200 (if they are a moderately active) and 2400 (for those with active in physical activity).
Women typically eat fewer calories than men in the same age and physical activity level. The following are a table of summary for the calories requirement of men and women from different level of physical activity [table source; WebMD].
If you have an ideal weight, you should eat the appropriate amounts of calories that your body needs as explained above. If you don’t follow these rules ‘eating more or fewer calories than your body needs’, you are at great risk of getting weight gain or weight loss.
If you want to lose weight for about 1 pound /week, you should decrease the total calories in the table above by 500 calories /day. You can reduce your calories by increasing your exercise (getting more physical activity) and eating less with appropriate weight loss diet!
There are a lot of studies that confirm many health advantages from breakfast, including for weight loss. The following are some of these studies:
- Two studies released and published in the American Dietetic Association Journal found that people with habit of eating their breakfast have lower chance of getting weight problems.
- The National Weight Control Registry (NWCR) claims that eating breakfast should be your daily habit, particularly if you want to maintain your ideal weight or lose your excessive weight. A research conducted by NWCR showed that people who took weight loss diet and also ate their breakfast regularly lost their excessive weight faster.
So, what is the key?
For instance, if you skip your breakfast, you tend to take a larger meal at lunch and you also tend losing control of what you eat.
Moreover, a study revealed that people with have habit of eating breakfast also tend to have a good management of time. They tend to have more time to do their regular exercise. Eating breakfast means you should wake up earlier in the morning, and this means you will be better in planning your day, including for time of regular exercise.
Overall, daily habit of eating breakfast is great for your entire health in long term. It can help control your insulin to work regularly so thus also can help reduce the risk of developing type-2 diabetes (a condition of when your insulin works improperly).
As mentioned before, you can get a lot of advantages from daily breakfasts. But to get your best chance of losing more pounds of weight, make sure to also choose the appropriate foods for your breakfast!
Well… there are a lot of healthy foods that you can explore, but when it comes to losing weight, your breakfast should contain some of the following essential nutrients and substances!
We all agree that fiber is one of important elements you need to concern from your diet if you seriously want to lose weight fast. As well we know, it is slower digested in the digestive system. Even there are also some parts of fiber that are indigestible. As a result, fiber can help delay your gastric emptying and suppress your appetite.
In fact, obese /overweight individuals who get plenty of fiber from their weight loss diet tend to get less hunger after their meals, according to a study written in Mayo Clinic. So, make sure you get plenty of fiber from your breakfast!
The first thing that comes to your mind when talking and discussing about calcium may be about the bone health. There is nothing wrong with this perception since calcium is the most crucial substance to keep and improve the health of your bones.
But did you know some studies found that calcium may help lose and reduce fat while preserving muscles. Nevertheless, there are also few studies found that there may be no any correlation between the amounts of calcium in the body and weight loss. Regardless this debatable issue, it’s clear that getting plenty of calcium from diet is also good for your body in long term.
As the name implies, complex carbs are relatively slower digested in your gastric system. As a result, they can provide more steady energy and help suppress your appetite.
There are many foods categorized into complex carbohydrates such as red rice, whole-grain, starchy vegetables, and so on.
Water is very crucial to keep you hydrated. It is also important for your digestive system and other organs of your body.
Drinking plenty of water in your breakfast is not only about the way of your body to keep hydrated, but it also can help you feel full longer throughout the day.
There are a lot of choices, below are some that you should prioritize in your breakfast.
Most people love cereal for their breakfast since it is pretty practical and also yummy in taste. But for your best chance of losing weight, it’s much better to choose high-fiber cereal instead of low-fiber cereal.
People who eat high-fiber cereal in their breakfast tend to eat less at lunch, according to a research conducted by the Medical Center and the University of Minnesota.
Vinegar is the key for this option. It contains acetic acid that may help slow the delivery of food from the stomach /gastric into the next destination (small intestine). This means that vinegar also can help anyone feels full longer.
Olive oil is high in fat, but don’t worry – it is only rich in monounsaturated fat (healthy fat). It is not only helpful to provide healthy fat for your steady energy but also can help reduce your calories when trying to lose weight, particularly very helpful for those in the age of 57-73.
According to an Australian research, eating olive oil moderately can help improve metabolic rate.
And you might know well that having greater metabolic rate means easier in controlling weight and losing weight – as noted before. In fact, olive oil is also common in Mediterranean diet (one of healthy diets that also can help obese people in losing their excessive weight).