There are some natural ways to cure and get rid of stomach ulcers. Even these home remedies can be the primary part of the major treatment plan. And fortunately, the treatment for this kind of digestive problem is often successful. If you stick with your treatment plan but the pain or other symptoms still persist, there may be another cause of the symptoms.
They may come and go or become a chronic condition if left untreated. In other words, they are more likely to come back and reoccur if untreated. The major possible cause of stomach ulcer is the infection of bacteria called H-pylori. But don’t worry – this kind of infection can be cured with the appropriate treatments!
Overall, it’s important for all patients with stomach ulcer to have a completely treatment. Again, incompletely treatment increases the chance of the disease to reoccur – as noted before. And this may also increase the risk of some of the following complications:
In fact, abdominal pain is the most common symptom that often reported by patients with this kind of digestive problem. And therefore, relieving the pain is one of the major goals from the treatment plan. It is usually treated along with other symptoms.
In general, there are two major options of the treatment; medical intervention and some lifestyle changes to eliminate the chance of infection to reoccur. If the disease is caused by an infection of bacteria ‘H-pylori’, you need to take some antibiotics to cure the infection.
Other major steps of the treatment include:
The answer varies, depending on the severity of the ulcer itself or the kind of treatment that you take. While some patients say that they cure the problem for only about a couple of weeks, others need to take about a month, several months, or even almost one year.
Furthermore there is also a chance for the treatment fails to work, though most cases of stomach ulcer can be treated successfully after initial treatment – as noted before. For severe symptoms or if they don’t improve with the treatment plan as prescribed, doctor can ask you to take other tests (like endoscopy) to find a clearly diagnosis of actual reason of your symptoms.
While some symptoms of stomach ulcer may signal other less mild health condition (such as spastic colon or much more familiar called as irritable bowel syndrome), they may also point to certain serious health problem (such as cancer of stomach in very rare cases).
The following are some reasons that may lead to the failure of the treatment:
- Taking certain pain relievers that increase your risk of having recurrence ulcer.
- Abusing tobacco, or you keep smoking (cigarette smoking) if you are a smoker.
- If the reason of your stomach ulcer is the H-pylori infection, you need to know that there are also some cases of this infection that are resistant to medication with antibiotics. For this case, your doctor can consider using some different antibiotics that work best.
- Improperly taking your medications as prescribed.
According to Mayo Clinic, other less common reasons of why the disease doesn’t heal with treatment (this condition is medically called as refractory stomach ulcer) are:
- The existence of other health problems, such as Chron’s disease and stomach cancer.
- The existence of another infection (other than infection of H-pylori bacteria).
- The existence of a health condition that cause over production of acid, such as Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.
In line with the treatments of some medical interventions, doctor usually ask patient to follow some of the following lifestyle changes and home remedies: