There are several ways to get rid of stomach ulcers naturally. Even these home remedies can be a part of the treatment plan. And fortunately, the disease is often treated successfully. Prognosis and outlook of people with stomach ulcers are quite awesome. With appropriate strategies, it’s curable and would not come back!.
The symptoms may come and go or become chronic if left untreated. So treatment is necessary.
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below!
In most cases, the disease is associated with the infection of bacteria called H-pylori. But don’t worry – this kind of infection can be cured with appropriate treatments!
Overall, it’s important for all patients to treat the disease completely. If it’s poorly treated, this increases the chance of the disease to reoccur, which may also cause the following complications more likely [source]:
- Gastric obstruction. The disease may cause a severe inflammation which could be large enough to block the normal passage of food through your stomach and digestive system.
- Perforation, a medical emergency situation. Over time, the inflammation may get worse to create a hole through the stomach’s wall.
- Bleeding. Internal bleeding may also occur. This could be a mild bleeding that causes anemia or a severe bleeding that requires immediate treatment.
Abdominal pain is the most common symptom of the disease. And therefore, relieving the pain is one of the major goals from your treatment plan. It is usually treated along with other symptoms.
In general, there are two options of the treatment; medical intervention and lifestyle changes to reduce your risk of the infection. If the disease is caused by an infection of bacteria ‘H-pylori’, you need antibiotics to cure the infection.
Other steps of your treatment may include:
The answer varies, depending on the severity of the ulcer itself and the effectiveness of your treatments. While some patients say that they cure the problem in a couple of weeks, sometimes it takes a month, several months, or even almost one year to get rid of the disease completely.
Furthermore there is also a chance for the treatment fails to work, though most cases of stomach ulcer can be treated successfully.
There are several health medications that can cause symptoms similar to those of stomach ulcers. These include spastic colon (also often called as irritable bowel syndrome) or certain serious health problems like stomach cancer (rare).
The following are some reasons that may lead to the failure of the treatment:
- If you continuously take certain pain relievers that increase your risk of having recurrence ulcer.
- Abusing tobacco, or you keep smoking (cigarette smoking) if you are a smoker.
- Sometimes the infection that causes the disease is probably resistant to certain antibiotics. In such case, your doctor may consider other different antibiotics that work best.
- Improperly taking your medications as prescribed.
According to Mayo Clinic, other less common reasons of why the disease doesn’t heal with treatment (this condition is medically called as refractory stomach ulcer) are:
- The existence of other health problems, such as Chron’s disease and stomach cancer.
- The existence of another infection (other than infection of H-pylori bacteria).
- The existence of a health condition that causes over production of acid, such as Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.
Along with medications prescribed by your healthcare provider, the following lifestyle changes and home remedies may help: